Ambrolauri appears in historical chronicles for the first time in the XVII century. This place was chosen by the King of Imereti, who built the residences in this territory. The residence didn’t remain, but an ancient tower which is behind new church, it is considered to be it part.
Since 1930 represented an administrative center of the region of Ambrolauri. Proclaimed the city in 1966. In 2014 the city of Ambrolauri was disconnected from Ambrolaursi’s municipality and became separate administrative part.