Adjarian Khachapuri – Recipe
- 775 grams all-purpose flour
- 12 grams salt
- 180 grams starter (flour + water + yeast)
- 510 ml luke-warm water (at body temperature)
- Olive oil
Step 1: Making the Starter
* Mix equal amounts of flour and water (one cup each) and yeast (dry or fresh yeast). You need 1 tablespoon of yeast for each cup of flour.
* Cover the mixture and place it in your refrigerator for 24 hours.
* You can use the starter the next day when it is ready. If you have any leftover you can store it in the fridge for 1 year.
* In this recipe, you will need 180 grams of starter.
- Step 2: Making the Dough
* Mix the flour, salt, starter, and water in a large bowl, using your hand.
* You do not need to knead the dough. Just mix all the ingredients together until you get a ball. If the dough is too sticky, add a bit of flour to make it easy for you to roll the dough.
* Grease the bottom and sides of a container with a little bit of olive oil.
* Place the dough in a container, cover, and let it rest in a warm place for 24 hours.
Note: you can use this dough as pizza dough! Also, if you find it difficult, you can just use commerical pizza dough to make Khachapuri.
- Step 3: Shaping the Dough
* The next day the dough is ready. It is elastic, soft, and ready to be shaped!
* Make 150 grams balls of dough, sprinkle with flour if needed to make the shaping easy.
* Cover the dough balls until you need to use them.
- Step 4: Making Khachapuri
* Please refer to Ajarian Khachapuri – Part 2 for how to make the filling.